Sunday, December 7, 2008

My first 10k

So guys. I finished! My first 10k. Slowly but surely so I feel good about it. Here's the days diary in case anyone feels like doing on. I learned a lot.

Friday: picked up my bib and chip (the number you fasten to yourself and the electronic chip you attach to your shoe so they record your time.) I also got a t-shirt and picked up some gloves.

Sat.: It was gonna be cold today, so I got an Adidas hat and some legging style running pants and some windbreaker pants to wear over them. Tip to the ladies: Filene's Basement has a ton of workout gear and sneakers at awesome prices. I got my shoes, top, jog bra, windbreaker jacket and the pants there.

Sun.: Woke up at 6:30. Took a shower and ate some oatmeal. Watched NY1 to confirm it was cold as balls (34 degrees when I left.) I got to the subway around 7:20 and saw a bunch of other runner types. This was reassuring since I wanted to make sure I was on schedule and didn't have anyone to check with. I fastened my chip to my shoe and got off 103rd. We all walked over to the race site and I checked my bag. I forgot the little claim check thing that was attached to my number but luckily they let me check it anyway. I jogged over to the start and got there about 2 minutes late. I looked at my phone and it said 8:33. So off I went. I jogged slowly for almost the first mile until we hit the rolling hills in the NW corner of Central Park. At that point I walked for a bit. This was basically my M.O. for the rest of the run. Mostly jogging, sometimes walking and just basically looking ahead. I was with the other mellow types, some older, some younger, all shapes and sizes. The only annoying guy was one of a pair of two who seemed to be pushing his partner on with marine style chants a la "one two three for, we can run to-wards the door" or some such irritant. But, I managed to distance myself from them and finished in an hour and 27 minutes. I stopped to pee once and had three cups of water along the way. Because it was so cold it was hard to concentrate on much more than moving forward.

I'm excited to try a 5k where maybe I can think about going a little faster but just finishing this one was a great feeling.

2 comments:

Nicole Lang said...

I'm so proud of you!!!!!!
XOXOX

danielle d said...

I'm so behind on reading the blog - i cant believe i missed this! YAY Molly!!!