Saturday, June 6, 2009

update 2

I feel like Feb. and March were pretty much a bust for me. I was doing physical therapy for my knee, continuing my personal training one day a week and pretty much not doing anything else. In Austin for SXSW I went swimming and tried to figure out how to swim more when I got home. That turned into a bust when the only day I managed to do it I swam so hard I threw my neck out. I started to think I was entering a chronic injury phase of life and it bummed me out. My office offered the company a new deal at the new york sports club and I decided that even though I loved the spirit of the Y and the community aspect, the only way I was going to make working out a part of my daily schedule the way I wanted it to be was to switch to a gym that gave me more flexibility with time and locations. I had to send my trainer a dear malcolm letter and it was hard but he understood. Since May, I've been going to the gym around 4 times a week, doing yoga and pilates at first (there's always a class at 12:15 at one of the two gyms withing a block from my office) and a few weeks ago I started jogging again. I started our basically jogging at a walking pace and now I've been able to increase my speed and I'm getting my heart rate up. No visible results thus far but I FEEL better and that's really all I want. In school we're doing a lot of nutrition and disease prevention classes and it's so clear that nothing works without a combination of diet AND exercise. Simple, and true.

1 comment:

Slim Moon said...

i'm glad you didn't let february and march make you fall off the horse forever. 4 days a week of exercise is perfect