While most of my colleagues are reflecting on their favorite bands and records of the year and decade I'm mostly thinking about where I am with my health and fitness. This year has been one of real growth in the exercise department. I started off with an injury that sort of derailed my short term fitness goals. Through work with my physical therapist to get my knee back in shape I started to examine my dependence on my personal trainer and realized I needed a new plan. While I had gained a lot of strength through my nearly three years of work with Malcolm, I had definitely plateaued in certain areas (not doing enough cardio) and wasn't using enough common sense in my training which I think led me to push it and injure myself.
In May my office brought a new gym offer to the table which gave me more flexibility with times and locations of gym going. As sad as it was for me to leave the Y, I knew it was time and a good clean break from my old habits. I started going to the gym at lunchtime starting with low impact classes like Pilates and yoga to get me back in the game and slowly working up to trying some spin classes. I had only done one spin class before which I hated, so I was reluctant to try it. Nicole had recently started spinning at her new gym and through her example I found my motivation to give it a shot. Turns out, I LOVE IT. I take classes whenever I can and from all different teachers, some of whom I really don't feel, but the workout is really good for me and I get my serious sweat on and get to hear most of the recent hit songs which confirms my lack of interest in current popular music (although I did discover one of my favorite songs "Closer" by Ne-Yo).
In August, Carlos and I ran a 5K in Harlem which was cool since I only started running mostly on the treadmill in July. I was SLOW but we did it and it was fun to see the area and do it together and eat at Silvia's afterward!
I've started to think about exercise in a way that has motivated me a lot more, mainly that my generally sedentary lifestyle (one shared my most modern humans I think) needs to be challenged if I want to live a life that has quality and energy. I think of circulating my blood as one of the most crucial ways to keep my immune system strong and keep my body functioning well. I'm also motivated to sweat as a way to detoxify my system easily and consistently so I don't have to do something radical like a long juice fast or cleanse which requires a lot more time and energy than I can really afford given my other work and life commitments. For sure sometimes the time commitment to go to the gym (and especially to shower and look decent enough to come back to work) is hard and I have learned to give my self permission to not go when I really don't feel like it. But recently the desire to go and feel good has overruled the desire to stay home and watch one more episode of house hunters international.
My goal for next year is to try to vary my workouts more so I am gaining strength and keeping up with my cardio and to just stay motivated. Thanks to all of you friends for sharing your goals and struggles. Hopefully we can continue to do this next year.
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment