I've been dealing with a nagging knee issue for the last month and a half or so. After a session with Malcolm in January I started to feel a weakness in my right knee. The sensation was like it was going to buckle or give way, especially as I was going down stairs. It wasn't an acute pain and it was random so I didn't go straight to the doctor. It seemed to subside but two weeks ago after a day on my feet in class it came back pretty actively and I decided to go to the doctor. According to the orthopedist I have a subluxed patella which basically means my kneecap is out of alignment.
It's not too severe so I don't need surgery but I do need to modify my workouts which means my fitness goals may be affected. I'm annoyed that the whole reason I went to a trainer in the first place was not to injure myself and because I pushed it a little to hard (I think mainly because of some plyometric exercises I was doing) I ended up doing exactly that.
The goal now is to strengthen the muscles that lead to the kneecap to get it back in alignment and perhaps wear one of those braces that has the whole around the kneecap. I had signed up for two races in the next month, a 5k next Sunday and a 15k on the 22nd. The doctor said jogging isn't bad for my condition but I want to be careful so I'm going to try to swim and do strength training and pilates as I guess the elliptical and stair climber is the worst for this condition.
Sorry this is so long but I'm annoyed!
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Going to the physical therapist today. 3x a week for 4 weeks. Will keep you posted!
i am going to a physical therapist for my shoulder. i have found that these small injuries that give us setbacks is just a built in thing that you have to expect if you work out and have fitness goals. it will turn out ok, but the setback is annoying.
Post a Comment